Home Calendar Links Contact Me About blb Advertise

2.20.2012

Making your own baby food CAN be easy!



Making your own baby food isn't as scary as you think.  I want to share with you something that is going to make it even easier... a website: Wholesomebabyfood.com.  One of my "go-to" mommy friends told me about this website when I started feeding E solids and I've been hooked ever since. Not only will Wholesome Baby help you learn how to cook food for your baby, but it's also a great resource of what to cook for your baby and when.  

I tried to make a lot E's food, especially when it was single purees.  It is so simple. Do not let baby marketers fool you; while the Baby Bullet and Baby Breeza are great, all you really need to make baby food are some pots, pans, an oven, blender of some sort and ice cube trays.  I actually used our knockoff bullet blender that we got as a wedding gift and it worked perfect!  

Is your baby a beginner to solids? Start here for stage 1 foods and some basic pureeing.  Now that E is onto mostly finger foods, I want to find recipes I can still make in bulk and store in the freezer. This weekend I baked E some broccoli & cheddar cheese nuggets and wanted to share the recipe!

1 16 oz package frozen broccoli, cooked, drained and chopped
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 large eggs [or 5 egg yolks]
{directions}
preheat oven to 375
[1] lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil and set aside
[2] combine all remaining ingredients and mix well. {* add seasonings if you like: garlic powder, pepper, extra basil or oregano; also can add fruit or veggie puree to substitute for eggs} 
[3] shape mixture into nuggets and place on baking tray. bake for 20 to 25 minutes, turning nuggets over after 15 minutes. serve warm, crumble if baby needs.

I also found out that author of Wholesomebaby.com, Maggie Meade, is coming out with a book tomorrow called The Wholesome Baby Food Guide.  

Baby food doesn't need to be tasetless, processed and in a jar. It can be fresh, vibrant and delicious. In THE WHOLESOME BABY FOOD GUIDE, Maggie Meade will show you how easy it is to feed your baby homemade goodness. 
Based on the top-rated baby food website, THE WHOLESOME BABY FOOD GUIDE is filled with carefully researched information on nutrition, allergies, myths, and the best practices for introducing foods to your little ones. With more than 150 recipes, as well as storage tips, and allergy alerts, Meade reviews the three major stages of a baby's learning to eat: 4-6 months, 6-8 months, and 8 months and up.



Do you make your own baby food? Where do you find some of your favorite recipes? 

2 comments:

Tracy said...

How funny! This recipe was already on my list of things to make for my 14-mo twins this week! They don't eat purees anymore, but when they were, this site was my go-to!

Ann said...

This is STILL my go-to website! Lots of baby finger food recipes to check out. I have a few more that are on my list to make this week!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved